It’s been awhile but we have partnered up with the VANEATS team again to review their latest #ManCakesMadness package. ManCakes Bakery isn’t an ordinary cupcake shop; its flavours are intended to be more interesting, and more manly. I tried them once for a colleague’s birthday but I didn’t get to try too many flavours. I was excited to go back and sample more this time around.
For $9.95, the #ManCakesMadness package gives you the following:
- Your choice of 6 mini ManCakes (there are a total of 12 flavours available)
- Your choice of 2 hot beverages (options: 49th Parallel medium roast, Death Wish, or Teapigs tea)
To test the manliness of this, I invited Mr. to join me. Even though we received a complimentary package for sampling, we ended up paying $6 to upgrade to a Mini “Toolbox” so we could sample all 12 flavours and give you the best recommendation.
Each mini ManCake has its signature M-shaped icing plus special combination of toppings.
Here is a roundup of all 12 flavours:
- Chocolate Red Wine – You can really taste the red wine in the gelee on top. The slight tartness in the red wine has a similar effect of pairing raspberry sauce with chocolate.
- Buffalo Wing – The flavours of hot sauce and tangy blue cheese come out on this one. It’s not super prominent, but you can definitely taste the resemblance of buffalo wings when you pop this ManCake in your mouth.
- Rum and Coke – The taste of rum is a bit lost, but you won’t miss the cola cream inside. I quite liked it.
- Guinness for Strength – This is the featured flavour just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. It’s quite out-of-the-box to include potato cream and marshmallow icing. A fun bite!
- Chicago – This was cheesy! I can definitely taste the cheddar in the icing, but the caramel/cheddar cheese combination was a bit weird for me.
- Apple Brie – Another cheesy bite! At first it tasted like an apple pie, then the brie hit me and it’s just a bit too overpowering for my liking.
- Pink Peppercorn Grapefruit – The slight bitterness of the pink grapefruit inside was a pleasant surprise for me. I also liked the heat from the ground pink peppercorn sprinkled on top. I thought the addition of shortbread was unnecessary.
- King Kong – I thought I wouldn’t like this one because of the banana filling (I don’t like banana-flavoured stuff), but I did. The classic combination of chocolate and banana won over me. And I also liked the espresso flavoured marshmallow on top. There should be more marshmallow icing on cupcakes – so much fun to eat!
- Whiskey Lime – Apparently this is a favourite flavour for many people, but I found the flavours to be a bit too subtle for my liking.
- Tequila Pineapple – The tropical flavours of coconut and pineapple were quite prominent, as was the tequila. This was overall quite good, although I thought the spice-based cupcake overshadows the tropical flavours.
- Breakfast – This does remind me of breakfast. I can taste the bacon, the maple syrup and the granola crunch. Make this your breakfast could be your guilty pleasure!
- Bacon Chili Chocolate – I was hoping to be wowed by the chili but I didn’t taste any heat. The combination of chocolate and bacon was quite good though.
Overall, I thought all choices are very unique in terms of combination of flavours and I like that they’re not all overly sweet. Mr. approved of the manliness of the flavours, especially around the use of popcorn, buffalo wings, liquor and bacon. Of the 12 flavours, here is what we would recommend for your six based on taste and uniqueness:
- Chocolate Red Wine
- Buffalo Wings
- Tequila Pineapple
- King Kong
- Whiskey Lime (Rum and Coke is a close 7th if you must know)
For the beverage, the description of Death Wish — the world’s strongest dark roast coffee — definitely caught my attention. ManCakes is the first shop in North America to carry this product. It’s a single-drip coffee so it took a few minutes to be ready. When I first sipped it, I didn’t find it overly strong. I found it to be similar to Americano. Then it suddenly dawned on me: this is dripped coffee that tastes like Americano! Now that’s strong! I had it with cream and it was quite good, not really bitter. For those who enjoy their cup of Americano or espresso-based drink, you would like this. If you are a medium or dark roast drinker, you may find this a bit too much.
Being sensitive to caffeine, Mr. resorted to order the Super Fruit Herbal from UK’s Teapigs. It was fruity, with berry flavours and subtle tartness.
Cupcakes are not cheap in Vancouver. A regular ManCake costs $3.75 and I thought it’s a bit expensive. Therefore, this #ManCakesMadness package presents the perfect opportunity for you to try out its unique flavours without breaking the bank, plus you get two beverages out of it! Then you can go back and pick up the regular size of your favourite flavours afterwards. Go give it a try before the package runs out!
288 Robson Street, Vancouver