Now that summer is behind us, it’s time to celebrate the bounty of fall stone fruit such as peaches and apples. With our trip to the Okanagan, we of course bought some gorgeous peaches. And what do you do when you have a lot to go through? You can freeze them, canned them, give them away…for us, we made pie!
I have shared the Simple Pie Crust Recipe with you before and sure enough I used it for my crust. The recipe will make a double crust for a 9in pie, plus some depending on how thin you roll it.
For the filling, we used:
- 2lb Fresh Peaches (roughly 5 large peaches)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2-3 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- Roll out the two pieces of dough you make using my Pie Crust Recipe. If you make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for more than 30 minutes, make sure to let it rest in room temperature for a bit so it’s soft enough to roll. Otherwise, too cold of pie dough will crack around the edges.
- Line a 9in pie pan with the first sheet of dough
- Pre-heat the oven to 425F. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Peel, pit and slice the peaches to about 1/4 inch thick
- Add sugar, flour and salt into the peaches. Stir occasionally while letting it stand for 15 minutes
- Pour the filling into the crust and dot it with the unsalted butter, cut into smaller pieces
- Cover the pie with the second dough sheet, pricked or vented or as a lattice, brush the top with some milk and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 425F. Then slip a baking sheet underneath it and bake it at 350F for another 30 minutes
Voila! A yummy peach pie!
Tip #1: You can add some savouriness to your sweet pie by melting some cheddar cheese on top. (Thank you, Instagrammer instanomss)
Tip #2: What do you do with the leftover dough? Make yourself a mini peach pie!
This is just the perfect season for some peach pies. Hope you enjoy this recipe!