The contest is now closed. We’ll announce the winner soon. Thank you for entering!
Catelli, the Canadian pasta maker established in 1867 in Old Montreal, recently launched a new product line called Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains. It’s made with 100% Canadian whole wheat with five ancient grains: quinoa, teff, amaranth, millet and sorghum. I was invited to its launch event in Vancouver, over an intimate cooking experience with Chef Lynn Crawford.
We got to taste-test the doneness of the pasta and find out what our preference was between 7-minute, 8-minute or 9-minute cooking time. For me, I thought cooking the pasta for 8 minutes would give me the perfect al dente texture without being too hard. Overall, the pasta texture is firmer than white pasta, but less grainy and more flavourful than regular whole wheat pasta.
Scroll to the bottom to find out how you can win a year’s supply of Catelli Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains pasta!
We also sampled the pasta with Chef Lynn Crawford’s marinara and pesto sauces. Now, if only I could get a hold of those recipes!
The cooking demonstration was quite interactive. Did you see my video of Amy Bronee from Family Feedbag jamming with Chef Lynn while making the pesto sauce? It’s all about the basil!!
Marc Smith of 30 Days of Adventures also got called up to help with plating the pasta dishes.
At the end of the evening, we all had a chance to replicate Chef Lynn’s recipe of Chilled Noodle Salad with Ginger Wasabi Dressing. It was easy to make and tasted light and refreshing; it would be a great dish for the warmer days to come this summer. I’ll share the recipe with you at another time.
Now is your chance to get your hands on some of these nutritious pasta! I’m giving away ONE-YEAR SUPPLY of the Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains pasta. Yes, one year’s worth of pasta! I’ve won a year’s supply of product before, and let me tell you, it’s a pretty sweet deal🙂
3 ways to enter
- Leave a blog comment below and tell us what your favourite pasta dish is (1 entry)
- Visit our Facebook page and Like/Comment any of the posts (there will be a few) related to this contest (1 entry per eligible post)
- Follow @vanfoodies on Twitter & tweet the following (1 entry)
- I entered to win 1-year supply of #Catelli pasta via @vanfoodies. Learn more: bit.ly/1DaMQmX #HealthyHarvestAncientGrains
Contest Deadline: Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 11:59pm. A winner will be chosen at random and contacted within a week. This contest is open to all Canadian residents. Good luck!
Some Health Benefits of the 5 Ancient Grains
- Quinoa: Helps you feel fuller longer, helps control blood pressure and may help reduce the risk of diabetes; considered a “superfood” and is a complete protein source.
- Teff: High in fibre and iron; good source of calcium and protein
- Amaranth: High in protein; contains lysine, an amino acid lacking in many grains
- Millet: Very digestible, non-allergenic and gluten free; a good source of magnesium
- Sorghum: High in antioxidants; lower glycemic index than other grains